The South African National Defence Force said it could not divulge the number of soldiers deployed to the Cape Flats.
Image: Armand Hough / Independent Newspapers
President Cyril Ramaphosa hailed the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) for achieving "positive results" during his response to questions in the National Assembly.
Yet, despite these claims, the streets of Cape Town remain plagued by violence.
The soldiers, who were deployed in an attempt to bring stability to the province as gang violence had reached a boiling point, were deployed on April 1, as part of Operation Prosper.
The SANDF was not only deployed to the Western Cape but also to other provinces to focus on specific threats:
- Western Cape – gangsterism and violent crime
- Eastern Cape – gang violence
- Gauteng – illegal mining activities
- North West – illegal mining operations
- Free State – illicit mining activities
President Cyril Ramaphosa told the National Assembly that the deployment of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has made a noticeable impact in tackling crime and stabilising priority hotspots and also disrupting crime.
He said more than 1 000 arrests were made, with 550 in the Western Cape and 238 in the Eastern Cape.
“There has been a strong focus on dismantling drug networks and illegal mining syndicates, alongside arrests that are linked to serious violent crimes,” Ramaphosa said.
However, DA chief whip George Michalakis cited statistics and said the situation has actually worsened since the deployment of the soldiers on the Cape Flats, while the cost of Operation Prosper was R823 million.
The Western Cape police spokesperson, Novela Potelwa, said integrated operations will intensify over time.
“With Operation Prosper having commenced on Wednesday, 1 April 2026, guided by crime pattern analysis, we envisage that our integrated operations will intensify over time. We have set our sights on executing intelligence-driven operations in problematic hotspots that have previously experienced shooting incidents resulting in murders and attempted murders, with communities playing an active role by sharing vital information on firearms, drugs, extortion, and manifestations of gang-related crime,” Potelwa said.
She said the SAPS undertakes to act decisively on all intelligence shared with the integrated forces.
Community activists and crime-fighters have previously stated it was a waste of taxpayers’ money deploying the SANDF to Cape Town, as no changes have been made; instead, rapid gunfire continues, and the loss of lives increases daily.
Previously, a community activist from Hanover Park, Yaseen Johaar, told IOL that the deployment of the army will not bring any solution to the scourge of gangsterism.
“The deployment is a waste of money. The process to get the SANDF deployed is costly in itself, and on top of that, you have the actual cost per member. You also have medical staff and associated costs per person,” Johaar said.
A Heideveld community worker, Vanessa Nelson, said that initially she was one of the people calling for the military deployment.
“My impression of the army in our area should show some sort of stability; however, they seem to just be driving through areas with no intent of combat or plan of action to deal with the aspect of gangsterism and drug dens. Through SAPS, they should be aware of houses, names, and where things are happening,” Nelson said.

