Debris remains on the roadway as specialist rope access teams prepare to stabilise the mountainside.
Image: Supplied
Western Cape MEC for Infrastructure Tertuis Simmers has announced that significant progress is being made in the cleanup of debris from a major rockfall on the Oudtshoorn–Cango Caves road.
The road has been closed since May 15, and officials are focused on making it safe for motorists before reopening. Simmers noted that progress is being made, but the road remains closed for now.
It previously said progress is being made to clear the major rockfall between Oudtshoorn and the Cango Caves.
In an update on Sunday, Simmers said, “Safety remains our top priority. While debris is visible on the roadway, engineers have determined that removing it could immediately trigger secondary rockfalls, placing workers and road users at serious risk.”
“Specialist rope access teams will first stabilise the mountainside by dislodging unstable sections of rock and securing the rock face.”
He said once the process has been completed, teams will begin removing the existing debris from the road.
“Due to a number of variables linked to the stability of the rock face, a definite timeline for reopening the road cannot be communicated at this stage.”
He said once the project reaches a point where a more definitive timeframe can be provided, further updates will be issued.
Motorists heading to the Cango Caves are being redirected via the MR363 and R62 as cleanup operations continue on the closed Oudtshoorn route, with officials urging caution on the gravel detour.
Image: Supplied
Motorists travelling to the Cango Caves have been advised to use the alternative route via the MR363, travelling along the R62 towards Calitzdorp before turning off towards Buffelskloof and Matjiesrivier.
“This is a gravel road, and road users are urged to drive slowly and with caution.”
Simmers thanked residents, businesses and visitors for their patience and understanding while this important work is underway.

