After six years, Mitchells Plain rail service is back on track
Mitchells Plain commuters eagerly anticipate the reopening of the Kapteinsklip line, marking the end of a six-year disruption and the return of vital rail services.
Image: Supplied
After six long years of disruption due to vandalism and infrastructure damage, the Kapteinsklip line in Mitchells Plain is set to officially reopen on Monday.
This long-awaited return of passenger rail service will reconnect thousands of daily commuters to an affordable and reliable transport option along the Mitchells Plain corridor, as announced by PRASA Western Cape.
This comes after months of delays in completion, when service was expected to be restored last year; however, supply-chain challenges, relocation of settlements, vandalism, and the impact of material delivery have caused setbacks.
Previously, PRASA spokesperson Zinobulani Mihi explained what caused the delays.
“The expected completion date was initially set for June. However, delays were caused primarily by persistent community instability, vandalism, relocation of settlements (long-term), and supply-chain challenges, impacting material delivery. These factors have influenced project timelines and costs,” Mihi had said.
Shacks were erected on the Central line just outside Langa train station. Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) reopened the Central line, including the crucial Chris Hani (Khayelitsha) to Cape Town leg, on May 30, 2025, after years of suspension.
Image: Henk Kruger / Independent Newspapers / File
In a statement, PRASA said the reinstated limited service will connect four key stations only: Philippi, Lentegeur, Mitchells Plain, and Kapteinsklip.
A shuttle will operate between Kapteinsklip and Philippi, with passengers travelling to or from Mitchells Plain transferring at Philippi in both directions.
“This reopening marks the final phase in the full restoration of the Central Line — a critical public transport artery serving communities across the Western Cape. It is also expected to ease the congestion that has become an everyday experience across the broader public transport network,” PRASA said.
The Philippi–Kapteinsklip section has been out of service since 2020.
Over the past several months, the Central Line Recovery Team has undertaken a comprehensive rehabilitation programme, covering:
- Track and perway rehabilitation.
- Signalling system repairs and testing.
- Telecommunications infrastructure restoration.
- Overhead Traction Equipment (OHTE) reinstatement and energisation.
- Station upgrades and commuter facility improvements.
- Comprehensive operational safety validations.
Successful test runs were completed during the week of December 15–19, 2025, confirming infrastructure readiness and operational safety ahead of the reopening.
Revised timetables for the reinstated service are available on PRASA Western Cape’s official social media platforms on X, Facebook, and Instagram.
Get your news on the go, click here to join the Cape Argus News WhatsApp channel.
Cape Argus
Related Topics: