Two years on: The relentless search for missing Joshlin Smith continues
The search for missing Saldanha Bay child Joshlin Smith must continue, two years after her disappearance.
Image: Supplied
Two years after six-year-old Joshlin Smith vanished from her home in Middelpos, Saldanha Bay, the three people convicted of trafficking and kidnapping her are serving life sentences but the child has still not been found.
Joshlin was reported missing on February 19, 2024. In May 2025, the Western Cape High Court sentenced her mother, Racquel “Kelly” Smith, her boyfriend Jacquen Appollis and Steveno van Rhyn to life imprisonment plus 10 years after finding them guilty of trafficking in persons for purposes of exploitation and kidnapping. The court heard evidence that she had been sold for R20,000.
Despite the convictions, the investigation into her whereabouts remains open.
Western Cape Missing Persons Unit (WCMPU) founder Candice van der Rheede said Joshlin’s case forms part of a troubling pattern.
“About five children — four children, including Joshlin — that haven’t been found yet. They just disappeared without a trace,” she said.
Anti-gender-based violence activist June Dolley-Major said the two-year anniversary was a painful reminder that justice in court had not brought closure.
Image: File
“So it’s worrying because you don’t know — are the children eating? Are they sleeping? The mental images that one gets when children just vanish like this is so disturbing.
“Especially with all these cruel people in the world that you find. My mind can’t fathom it.”
Anti-gender-based violence activist June Dolley-Major said the two-year anniversary was a painful reminder that justice in court had not brought closure.
“It is two years since she went missing, and she’s not been found. So while the other three are behind bars serving life sentences, it doesn’t change the fact that Joshlin has not been found,” she said.
Dolley-Major expressed concern that public attention around the case had diminished.
“Sadly, I have to say that there’s not much noise being made anymore. You know that I focus on this,” she said. “I actually believed and hoped that the police would have cordoned off that area based on information that came out during the investigation. (refering to Joshlin's home) ”
She said the anniversary would be marked by reflection and renewed searches.
“We can’t give up because she’s still missing, and we have to continue for her family and for her siblings sake,” she said.
GOOD Saldanha Bay councillor Ricardo van der Merwe said the party continued to hold hope that Joshlin would be found.
“The GOOD Party calls on authorities to intensify their search until she is located,” he said in a statement.
Judge Nathan Erasmus, who presided over the high-profile Joshlin Smith case and delivered life sentences to the three accused, including the child's mother. His judgment was praised for its thoroughness and balanced approach to community sentiments.
Image: Mallory Munien
Van der Merwe said the party respected the justice system and believed the life sentences for human trafficking, along with the additional 10 years for kidnapping, should serve as a deterrent to perpetrators of violence against women and children.
He added that the continued silence of those convicted compounded the pain experienced by Joshlin’s family and the Diazville community.
Western Cape Police have previously confirmed that the investigation remains active, with follow-up searches conducted in Saldanha Bay, including K9 operations after new information was received.
As the two-year milestone passes, activists and political leaders agree on one point — until Joshlin is found, the search must continue.
Get your news on the go, click here to join the Cape Argus News WhatsApp channel.
Cape Argus
Related Topics: