Sarah Lee Naidoo drops her bail application amid ongoing murder case
In a dramatic turn of events, Sarah Lee Naidoo has abandoned her bail application in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court, where she faces murder charges for the death of Julian Ramiah. The case has been postponed for further investigation, with key forensic reports still pending.
Image: File
After both parties concluded their arguments regarding the bail application for murder-accused Sarah Lee Naidoo, she unexpectedly reversed her decision and abandoned the application at the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court.
Naidoo, 29, faces serious charges for allegedly stabbing and murdering Julian ‘Julz’ Ramiah during a violent altercation at his Bloubergstrand apartment on September 1, 2025.
On Thursday - where parties were expected to make their closing arguments - Naidoo made a brief court appearance, during which her legal aid lawyer advised the court that her client had abandoned the bail application.
The matter has been remanded to May 12 for further investigation.
State prosecutor Adiel Jansen confirmed that the investigation had a number of reports and statements still outstanding in its investigation.
Jansen confirmed the post mortem report had been received but certain forensic investigations were outstanding and included witness statements, the blood spatter analysis, DNA, and subpoena applications relating to cellphone communications.
Jansen confirmed the state would also request a reconstruction expert to form part of its case against Naidoo.
“There are quite a few things and those things by its nature take time (to gather),” Jansen submitted to the court before the postponement for further investigation was agreed upon.
Naidoo will remain in custody at Pollsmoor Prison and her next court appearance will take place via audio visual remand (AVR) the court said.
This week the court heard, through affidavit testimonies, from both parties arguing for Naidoo’s release.
In an unexpected turn of events, Sarah Lee Naidoo has abandoned her bail application just as both parties concluded their arguments in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court. The murder-accused, charged with stabbing Julian Ramiah at his Bloubergstrand apartment, will remain in Pollsmoor Prison as crucial forensic evidence is still pending.
Image: Supplied
The court heard from Naidoo’s mother and sister that Naidoo’s minor child - borne from the extra-marital relationship between herself and deceased Ramiah - missed his mother and often cried for her when they played videos of her.
The grandmother and mother submitted that it broke their hearts that he is separated from his mother and how he needs her.
Investigating officer Jacinta Govender stationed at Table View SAPS, opposed the bail application, however countered the impassioned plea for reunification in her submission when she revealed that the child was present when the brutal murder occurred.
Govender further said that to date Naidoo - in the absence of visible injuries or bruises to her body on the night of the murder and being found seated next to Ramiah with multiple stab wounds to his body - had given no credible explanation for why she stabbed Ramiah
Get your news on the go, click here to join the Cape Argus News WhatsApp channel.
Cape Argus