Hout Bay mother warns of Xanax dangers after daughter's tragic disappearance
Salama Swano, a grieving mother, shares her heart-wrenching story about her daughter Amiena's tragic fate, urging awareness about the dangers of Xanax abuse.
Image: Supplied
A Hout Bay mother is grappling with the devastating reality that her 17-year-old daughter was murdered and stuffed into a cupboard while allegedly “high” on Xanax (alprazolam) tablets and is waiting on DNA confirmation.
In a heartfelt plea to parents and youth, she warns of the dangers of this prescription drug, commonly used to treat anxiety and panic disorders. Her message comes just a week after President Cyril Ramaphosa's State of the Nation Address, where he declared gender-based violence (GBV) a national crisis, following calls from organisations like Women For Change.
For Grade 11 learner of Hout Bay High School, Amiena Swano, the promises have come a little too late. Her mother, Salama Swano, faced a parent's worst nightmare upon learning that her free-spirited daughter, who attended a One Love concert on Valentine's Day and later spent the evening with friends, is now potentially the victim in a murder investigation.
As the family prepares for the Holy Month of Ramadan, Swano provided a DNA swab to confirm whether the body found inside a cupboard in an abandoned house belongs to her daughter.
Amiena had begun experimenting with a cocktail of Xanax and coke just months prior, prompting her mother to urgently warn others about the misuse of this prescription drug, typically used for depression, in communities.
Amiena Swano, a vibrant 17-year-old, whose life was cut short, serves as a poignant reminder of the urgent need to address drug abuse and gender-based violence in our communities.
Image: Supplied
Police spokesperson Thembakazu Mpendukana said a murder docket had been opened for investigation: “Hout Bay SAPS is currently investigating a case of murder following the discovery of a body that was found in Hout Bay. The identity is yet to be determined as the body was found decomposed. Anyone with information is kindly requested to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or utilise the MySAPS app to report anonymously.”
The 54-year-old mother spoke out during an emotional interview exclusively with the Cape Argus detailing the hours leading up to her daughter's disappearance. "I was looking through the window and saw them all pass me by,” she recounted. "It was getting late, and I couldn't understand why she hadn’t returned yet.
'I thought if she wanted to be out by 11pm, I would allow that although she was supposed to be at home already."
Later, after reporting her missing and frantically searching for her, she received the tragic news that a decomposing body had been discovered on Tuesday night, stuffed inside a little cupboard, barely a metre long. She said she provided police with descriptions of Amiena’s clothing she was last seen wearing, which she says matches that of which was found on the body.
She said just over a few months ago, she started noticing her daughter’s strange behaviour, almost in a “zombie-like” state and showing signs of disrespect, and that she now had visions of how she must have not been able to defend herself from her attacker.
“So, like now I've lost my daughter, then they will give me this to calm me; it was like a stress tablet, it makes you drowsy like a sleeping tablet, it has different colours because yesterday I saw it on the Internet, I wanted to see how it looks. This was the third time I'm actually seeing her use it. You know, she's like in a zombie state. She talked to you like she is on morphine.
“I don't know if she did have drinks that night. They (police) didn't say anything about that. But I do know she smoked dagga and she took the Xanax, so she was in a state. If anybody threw her to the floor, she wouldn't have known. She wouldn't be able to defend herself physically. So I don't know what happened. I cannot speculate. I really don't know how it happened, how she ended up there.”
Videos of the crime scene were shared on social media, showing the cupboard stuffed with a nylon bag.
She said while she tries to remain calm, she wants to warn others: “I want to warn everyone about this tablet; it is on our streets, it is making our children like zombies.” “This situation could happen to anyone,” she lamented. “What’s happening with our young people?
Western Cape Missing Persons Unit (WCMPU) founder and director, Candice van der Rheede, said: “It is not confirmed that it is her as we have to wait for DNA, and we are asking people not to speculate,” she said.
Siya Monakali of GBV organisation, Ilitha Labantu said they were deeply disturbed by the discovery of a body: “The seriousness of the case demands swift, coordinated, and transparent investigative action to ensure accountability and to address growing concern within the community."
Get your news on the go, click here to join the Cape Argus News WhatsApp channel.
Cape Argus
Related Topics: