Desperate search for a missing Zimbabwean man in Bot River Lagoon
NSRI and police divers continue searching the Bot River Lagoon near Fisherhaven for a 26-year-old man who went missing while wading.
Image: NSRI hermanus/ Facebook
Police divers and NSRI rescue crews are continuing the search for a 26-year-old Zimbabwean man who went missing while wading at the Bot River Lagoon near Fisherhaven.
The National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) Hermanus duty crew was activated at 8:13pm on Saturday following reports of a drowning.
NSRI rescue swimmers and a rescue vehicle responded alongside the South African Police Service.
On arrival, it was determined that the man had reportedly gone missing earlier while wading in the lagoon. He had been with a local friend at the time. The pair are understood to regularly fish together at the lagoon.
NSRI rescue swimmers conducted sweeping line wading search efforts, while police divers from the Western Cape Water Policing and Diving Services were alerted by Hermanus police.
On Sunday, NSRI Hermanus launched its JetRIB rescue craft and assisted police in ongoing search operations.
Despite extensive efforts, there has been no sign of the missing man.
Police have opened an investigation. Water Policing and Diving Services are expected to continue search efforts.
“Our thoughts and care are with family and friends of the missing man in this difficult time,” the NSRI said.
In a separate incident earlier this week, NSRI Hermanus carried out a medical evacuation of an injured fisherman from a 65-metre stern trawler.
NSRI Hermanus duty coxswain Jean le Roux said the crew was placed on alert at 7:48pm on Tuesday following reports from the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre of a 47-year-old fisherman from De Doorns injured while at sea.
The vessel was heading towards Hermanus and was expected offshore on Wednesday morning.
At 5:41am on Wednesday, NSRI launched the rescue craft The Legacy, accompanied by an EMS rescue paramedic and NSRI Maritime Extrication crew, in dense fog but calm seas.
The rescue craft rendezvoused with the vessel about five nautical miles offshore of Danger Point. The paramedic and rescue crew boarded the trawler, medically assessed the patient and secured him in a Stokes basket stretcher.
In a technical high-angle operation, he was transferred onto the rescue craft and brought ashore. He was transported to hospital by ambulance in a stable condition.
The patient is recovering in hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.
The evacuation operation was completed at 9:54am, with multiple agencies assisting in the coordination.
Get your news on the go, click here to join the Cape Argus News WhatsApp channel.
Cape Argus