Cape Argus News

CTMCA criticises City of Cape Town for hindering Klopse events

Murray Swart|Published

The CTMCA said it was “deeply disappointed” by the City’s handling of stadium bookings

Image: Tracy-Lynn Ruiters

The Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association (CTMCA) has accused the City of Cape Town of stalling and placing unnecessary obstacles in the way of its annual internal Klopse competitions, despite a successful court application late last year.

In a formal statement, the CTMCA said it was “deeply disappointed” by the City’s handling of stadium bookings, arguing that continued legal challenges, disputed availability claims and a lack of religious sensitivity were undermining an important part of Cape Town’s cultural heritage.

In response to media enquiries about the CTMCA’s latest statement, the City referred the Cape Argus to a statement it issued last week — a statement that has already been reported on — and did not provide any new comment addressing the specific allegations now raised by the association.

The CTMCA said it had requested stadium dates on 1, 3 and 5 January, but was told the venues were already booked. According to the association, site visits and photographic evidence later showed that Athlone stadium standing empty on those days, raising what it described as serious transparency concerns.

The association also criticised the City for offering alternative dates in January and February that clash with Ramadan and the holy night of Miraaj on January 16, saying the proposals showed a lack of sensitivity to the religious commitments of the minstrel community.

Another key dispute centres on event risk classification. The CTMCA said the City blocked the use of Vygieskraal Stadium by categorising minstrel competitions as medium-risk, despite the venue being regarded as low-risk. The association said this contradicted past precedent, pointing to previous events held without incident at Paarwater Stadium.

The CTMCA further said attempts to engage the South African Police Service (SAPS) to reconsider risk gradings particularly in light of reduced participant numbers — had failed to resolve the impasse.

In its earlier statement, the City said it had not received a completed event permit application or provisional booking from the CTMCA for available dates at Athlone Stadium. It reiterated that Vygieskraal Stadium could not lawfully be used for medium-risk events, as graded by SAPS for most minstrel competitions.

The City said it had received an incomplete application from the CTMCA, once again for Vygieskraal Stadium, which it had ruled out months earlier. It added that Athlone Stadium had been made available for dates in January and February, subject to compliance with event permitting regulations.

The City also noted that Klopse competitions were continuing at Athlone Stadium for organisations that booked timeously and complied with requirements, adding that December and January were the busiest months for events, with venues often booked many months in advance.

It further confirmed that it had lodged an appeal against a related High Court ruling which ordered venue provision on dates the City says have no legally suitable venue options.

Get your news on the go, click here to join the Cape Argus News WhatsApp channel.

Cape Argus