Cape Argus News

Lavender Hill teen killed while walking home from the shop

Marsha Dean|Published

Police are investigating a case of murder after a teen was gunned down in Lavender Hill on Sunday.

Image: Leon Knipe

A Lavender Hill teen's life has been snuffed out on Sunday night while walking to a local shop in his community, leaving his family in despair.

Justin Marcus, 18, was gunned down in St Georges Street while walking home from the shop after purchasing a cigarette to smoke. The incident took place around 9pm after he had supper and decided to take the walk to the shop.

Crime groups reported multiple gunshots in Lavender Hill and surrounding areas on Sunday night. It is alleged that gunmen were driving around and shooting randomly.

And according to Justin’s heartbroken father, James Combrink, his son was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Speaking to the Cape Argus sister publication, the Daily Voice after a visit to the mortuary where they had to identify their son’s body, Combrink said the family has been left with unanswered questions.

He said his son was innocent and not a gangster.

The father explained: “It was just random shootings. My son was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. He was not a gangster, he was walking to the shop which is situated around the corner. 

“There was a car standing at the corner and when he was done buying his cigarette and was on his way home, that was when he was approached from behind and they shot him.

Gunned down Justin Marcus

Image: Facebook

“He just finished his food, he is a smoker and he went to the shop to buy a cigarette to smoke and that was when they shot him on his way back home. 

“We just heard one gunshot but then people started calling my wife saying, ‘hulle het vir Justin geskiet’. (They shot Justin).

“They shot him three times, two shots were in the head. They shot him once which caused him to fall down then they came to him and shot him in the face.

“Justin was a people’s person, he was not a gangster. He did odd jobs with his uncle after finishing school last year. I do not know why they targeted him. 

“His mother is shattered, she is heartbroken, I am trying my best to be strong. I don’t think people are going to speak up if they saw something because they are too scared.”

Police spokesperson Sergeant Wesley Twigg confirmed that a murder case is under investigation with no arrests made as yet.

Twigg reported: “Steenberg police registered a murder case for investigation following a shooting incident on Sunday night, January 11, at about 9.18am, in St Georges Street, Cuban Heights, St Montague Village, where a 19-year-old male was shot and fatally wounded. 

“Police members attended the crime scene where they found the victim who sustained gunshot wounds to his body. 

“According to reports the victim was approached by unknown suspects who shot him before fleeing the scene. 

“The victim was declared deceased on the scene by medical personnel. The motive for the attack is yet to be determined. A murder case was registered for investigation.”

Police are appealing to anyone with any information about this shooting incident to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or use the mobile application MySAPS anonymously.

Get your news on the go, click here to join the Cape Argus News WhatsApp channel.

Cape Argus