Cape Argus

Public warned of scam seeking donations for the family of slain Tembisa Hospital nurse

Karen Singh|Published
The Democratic Nursing Organisation of SA said the family of Lebo Monene, a nursing assistant who was shot and killed by her partner at Tembisa Hospital last week, confirmed that the banking details do not belong to any members.

The Democratic Nursing Organisation of SA said the family of Lebo Monene, a nursing assistant who was shot and killed by her partner at Tembisa Hospital last week, confirmed that the banking details do not belong to any members. Fake post circulating on social media platforms calling for donations for the family of nurse Lebo Monene, who was killed by her partner last week at Tembisa Provincial Tertiary Hospital in Ekurhuleni. Picture: Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa.

DURBAN – The Democratic Nursing Organisation of SA (Denosa) in Gauteng warned the public of a scam is doing the rounds on social media platforms calling for money and food donations for the family of nurse Lebo Monene who was murdered at the Tembisa Provincial Tertiary Hospital in Ekurhuleni last week.

The 30-year-old enrolled nursing assistant was shot and killed by her 30-year-old partner, who is a police officer.

The suspect arrived at the hospital on Wednesday morning in a state vehicle with flashing blue lights and called the nurse to the parking area where he shot and killed her before turning the gun on himself.

IOL reported last week that the suspect was in a critical condition.

In a statement on Friday, Denosa said the pamphlet currently circulating on social media platforms was fake.

Denosa said the union contacted the Monene family to check the validity of the pamphlet.

“Denosa in Gauteng wishes to warn the public about a circulating scam on social media platforms purporting to seek both monetary and material donations for the family of the nurse who was fatally shot at Tembisa Hospital.

“Denosa has confirmed with the family of our member that the banking details on the scam brochure do not belong to any of the family members,” said the union.

The union urged nurses and the general public to ignore the scam which it describes as seeking to benefit from the “agony of the Monene family in this trying time”.

Denosa said both the union and the Tembisa Hospital have pledged to support the Monene family with the costs of the funeral arrangements.

Monene was also a member of the Government Employees Pension Fund and may have also had an additional funeral policy, it said.

The fake post states: “In loving memory of Lebogang Monene, we humbly request monetary donation or non perishable goods to be donated to the family as to help the family cover day-to-day costs.”

A fake post circulating on social media platforms calling for donations for the family of nurse Lebo Monene, who was killed by her partner last week at Tembisa Provincial Tertiary Hospital in Ekurhuleni. Picture: Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa.

THE MERCURY