Cape Argus News

Sameemah Jacobs warned of contempt of court for refusing to remove pardah

Genevieve Serra|Updated
Sameemah Jacobs has been released on R4000 bail in the Bellville Magistrate's Court.

Sameemah Jacobs has been released on R4000 bail in the Bellville Magistrate's Court.

Image: Ayanda Ndamane/Independent Newspapers

Alleged baby snatcher, Sameemah Jacobs, has been warned by a Magistrate that she will be held in contempt of court should she not remove her pardah during the commencement of her trial at the Bellville Magistrate's Court.

An adamant Jacobs challenged the presiding Magistrate that her religion forbade her to remove it in the presence of males, while the officer of the court argued that it did not govern over the rules of the courthouse.

Dressed in a black Muslim top and black pardah, Jacobs stood in the dock, protesting against the removal despite being warned that she could be held in contempt of the court.

“Miss Jacobs, please remove the bottom part (pardah) that covers your face; otherwise, I am going to make an order. If you do not, I will hold you in contempt of court. This is a warning to you,” said the Magistrate.

“According to your religion, modesty must be covered. Let’s not go into technicalities. I am warning you the second time: remove the pardah.”

Jacobs refused to remove the pardah and argued that she was within her right religiously: “I am not allowed to remove it.”

The Magistrate added: “I am begging you.”

“I am not allowed to be in front of males; it is written in my religion,” she replied.

The Magistrate then reminded her that she was before the court: “Where in the law… your religion does not override the rules here, and I will stand this matter down. The court adjourns, and I will still hold you in contempt. You will first listen; the matter stands down.”

Jacobs was then ordered to leave the courtroom and was later called back to the dock, where she is understood to have made a request for her bail conditions to be amended in order to visit Mitchells Plain for her divorce proceedings.

The matter was postponed to June 17 for further trial.

Earlier, it was revealed that Jacobs will face charges of trafficking in persons, fraud, and forgery when her case moves to the Regional Court for trial. This charge is expected to be added to the existing charge sheet.

She is currently facing charges of kidnapping and defeating the ends of administrative justice.

The charges relating to fraud and forgery relate to hospital documentation in which Jacobs is alleged to have forged and also claimed that she was the mother of Baby Imaad Sharmar.

 

The State is set to prove that Jacobs kidnapped Imaad Sharmar from his mother, Imaan Sharmar, at Middestad Mall in Bellville under the pretence that she was a volunteer for the NPO in June last year.

Imaan was present during proceedings and said she felt uneasy with Jacobs making a request for her bail conditions to be amended. 

Jacobs, a mother of three, is currently out on R4000 bail.

Get your news on the go, click here to join the Cape Argus News WhatsApp channel.

Cape Argus